Introducing: The Alfa Romeo Giulia, Italy’s New Super Sedan
Soul. Emotion. Expression. Passion. These are all words that are generously used by Italian car manufacturers to describe their new flagship offerings. However, in the press release for the all-new Alfa Romeo Giulia, you’ll notice words like exhilarating, thrilling, astounding and innovative are used much more frequently.
Then, we’re told that the range-topping Guilia Quadrifoglio version comes equipped with a Ferrari-inspired all-aluminum 3.0 liter 510 HP twin turbo V6 which propels it from 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds. Oh, it also comes in rear wheel or all-wheel-drive configurations and will have a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. It sounds like the Giulia is on a mission to destroy the world, or at least lay down some serious lap times.
M3 and C63 owners, proceed with caution. It looks mean.
Here are the key highlights from the official Alfa Romeo press release:
- Perfect blend of the new Alfa Romeo paradigm and maximum expression of the ‘meccanica delle emozioni’, the new model encapsulates 105 years of style excellence and Italian technology.
- Its distinctive design expresses three quintessential features of Italian design: sense of proportions, simplicity and high quality surface finish.
- The new Alfa Romeo badge, now refreshed while preserving its legendary shape and unmistakable style, stands out in the middle of the famous front trefoil nose.
- The entire ‘creation’ centers around the driver and the promise of exhilarating driving experiences with sensitive steering, responsive acceleration and prompt shifting and braking.
- Rear or four-wheel drive is more than just a tribute to the most authentic roots of the Alfa Romeo legend: it is also a technical solution which guarantees high performance and astounding fun.
- State-of-the-art, innovative engines: a six-cylinder 510 HP, inspired by Ferrari technologies, the brand’s new powertrain reference, will be introduced on the Quadrifoglio version.
- Performance is thrilling: from 0 to 100 km/h in just 3.9 seconds.
- Perfect weight distribution (50/50 across the two axles), sophisticated suspensions (the front is an Alfa Romeo exclusive) and the most direct steering on the market.
- Unique, exclusive technical solutions, like Torque Vectoring for outstanding stability control, Integrated Brake System for considerably reducing braking distance and Active Aero Splitter for active high-speed downforce management.
- Alfa Romeo Giulia combines extraordinary engine performance and the ample use of ultralight materials, like carbon fibre, aluminium, aluminium composite and plastic, to obtain the best weight-to-power ratio (lower than 3kg/hp).
- The model was introduced to the international press in the renovated Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese, Italy ,which will reopen on June 30 for enthusiasts and researchers worldwide.
No word yet on pricing or specifications on entry level/intermediate models, but we’re thinking that the Guilia Quadrifoglio version will be comparable in price to the M3’s and C63’s of the world.
They also included a video which showcases the Giulia’s Ferrari-tuned exhaust note. At the 0:24 second mark you can see the front splitter active aero extending downwards – as far as we know, the Giulia Quadrifoglio version is the first production sports sedan to have such a feature.
Another interesting tidbit: the Giulia will also sport Alfa Romeo’s new, modernized logo. The best part? It still very much so shows a man getting eaten by a snake. Never change, Alfa, never change.
Link to the entire press release here.